April 6, 2010

Super duper stain remover...

How is it that my child can't walk and yet his socks always look like this...



...and how is it that my child can't even feed himself and yet he manages to look like this...



minus the Asian features, this really could be my child...

Most people that know me, know that I am, well...sort of a uh...perfectionist. I am a little anal about having white shirts WITHOUT stains and socks that are actually white. I feel like I am going to go bankrupt buying new white onesies because I can't stand having stained ones. I just bought a new package (size 24month because he is so stinkin big) and he has already stained 4 out of the 5 of them. You may be thinking to yourself, "why is she buying new onesies, why not just wash the ones you have." You know, that is a novel idea my friend, however, I can't find a good stain remover that actually does what it says it is supposed to do. I have tried soaking them in hot water, hot water with bleach, I have tried a handful of different stain removers and yet...they still come out with the same stain that it went in with. Maybe I should just scrapbook all of Brennon's onesies so I can always remember what he ate each day.

I feel like an awful mother because Brennon is always reaching for food but Adam and I are too afraid to let him feed himself because we hate having a messy baby. I can't stand when babies faces are crusted with last nights spaghetti or have the same fruit flavored milk mustache from that mornings fruit loops.

So I need help...has anyone found a product that actually removes stains?? What works best for you? Oh and p.s. what really does remove blood from a shirt? People always say peroxide, or cold water or even some T.N.T, but seriously people...does anything remove blood from a shirt?




14 comments:

Darlene Swapp said...

haha. Well im sure you tried these already, but resolve spray and wash, or oxy clean. And hey Leesh just relax, its ok if babies have some stains its part of being a baby!Hey sorry we could't get together in Utah, it will happen someday. And maybe by then Greg and I will have a baby, just maybe

mom2ky said...

Buy some colored onsies---not white ones...and let him be messy..that's part of being a KID! I was kind of the same way with Kylonna, and I always had her "daycare" clothes, and her "good" clothes because I knew she would get dirtier at daycare. I don't buy white clothes for Kylonna STILL just because of that! :)

Adam & Leesha Wickern said...

not worrying about babies being messy is easier said than done for me and Adam. I allow him to have stinky diapers isn't that enough? ;)

Rachel said...

YAY!!!! Mary Poppins to the rescue!!! I KNOW this one!!!! Yes, it's me and my cleaning tricks again. I completely understand and sympathize with you on the stains and I really don't like stains! I've experimented and played around until I found the perfect combo and have since learned how to remove even the most set in stains, such as old white shirts with the yellow underarm stains -- that have been there for some time. Yes, it took some time figuring it out, but just as Darlene mentioned - OxyClean!!! I LOVE that stuff!!! Go, buy some powder OxyClean, fill a bathroom sink with COLD WATER (hot water will set stains; however, OxyClean can still come to the rescue!), add the onesies that you'd like to work with. Then once those are soaked (it's okay if they float to the top of the water line), pour, liberally, onto the stains, let stand for an hour or two, go back to them and check to see the progress by moving the crusted layer of OxyClean from the stain (keep the water the same -- don't get rid of it!!!). If the stain is still there, rub the stains with the fabric to massage the stuff in. Pour some more onto it, let it slightly dissolve, rub it in place back in water to sit and pour a small amount over it. Leave for a couple hours. It'll become white again. Repeat if necessary. It removes all sorts of stains (fresh or completely "a million washes later" set). But, the best way to treat the stains once they've happened and are fresh, use the super powered OxyClean spray. First, wet the stained item with COLD WATER, then lay into empty sink, spray the OxyClean super blue bottled stuff onto it, let soak and sit for 15-20 mins., then place into the washer with the load that best suits that colored schemed item.

It works and it has been tested, tried, and then has had my complete pledge to it! Most stains don't require that much effort to get out, but there will be some that are older and will require a little bit more attention. Guest bathroom sinks that aren't being used at the time, are a wonderful sink to use, unless you have your own laundry room sink. If you have questions or need help, give me a call. :o)

cheloni said...

ha ha! i totally feel the same way about the white onesies!! you should totally dye the ones that are stained.
here is a place to find some easy great tips on dyeing:
http://www.dana-made-it.com/2008/07/tutorial-easy-fabric-dying.html


ok and as far as a good stain remover i use reslove spray and wash for most things. but for the really hard stains i like to use this stuff called Fels-Naptha. http://www.felsnaptha.com/

i know it sounds crazy but it works great!!! i have gotten out mud, grass stains, pen, and even blood. i like to soak the item in cold water and then rub the bar really good over the stain and then use my fingernail to scrub the stain even better. i wash it and then if its still not out i repeat. once something has been dryed i have found it almost impossible to get the stain out so always try and do it as fast as possible.

it can be kind of hard to find but is usually really cheap like maybe $2 for a bar. i usually find it at the grocery stores like harmon's and i think at wingers. just google it and you can read more about it.

give it a try and let me know what you think and sorry it you hate it but it works great for me.

VA Bradshaws said...

I do like OxyClean as well and it works great. Another and cheaper thing that I think works just as great is dishwasher powder detergent. Don't use the liquid because it will bleach but the powder won't. I have yet to find a stain that it hasn't gotten out. My sister-in-law told me about it and she uses Cascade, I have also used the Kirkland brand from Costco. Sometimes you have to use the same method and Rachel said. But it has always worked for me. Anyway, hope that helps!

Mike and Lindsey said...

OxyClean is where it's at my friend. Sophie is wearing things that are white still and they are hand me down from her big sister. It's gotten every stain out that I've been face with. Hang in there with the dirty baby thing, you know me, I'm just like you when it comes to things being nice and clean. But I've learned that's why we have kids, so they can teach us to RELAX!!! Miss you guys.

Hilary said...

I love my bleach pen! On white onesies it is by far my favorite. I usually scrape off the surface stain, soak it for a while and then apply the bleach pen (which has a bleach gel in it) and let it sit for a while. I hate stained onesies too, but this always seems to work, with poop, puke, and food, as long as I get it quickly.

Amy said...

I agree, I'm totally an Oxi Clean fan hands down! I have gotten just about everything out of clothes, including blood! I spray directly on the stain, let it sit and then come back and scrub it out. Then if it still doesn't come out, I spray again and let it soak! It's amazing stuff... I swear by it! I totally know what you mean about not wanting your baby to look messy. It's a perfectionist thing we share! :) Especially when we're out in public, I never want my kids to look like hooligans! I'm constantly washing faces, brushing hair, repositioning hair clips and changing clothes if the spill is too messy! Don't worry, you learn to let some things go over time! I love ya Leesh!

Loleen said...

I had a friend give me this recipe and claim that is gets out all baby stains and claims to get out blood, haven't tried it. Anyway the recipe is:
1/2 cup Era
1/2 cup ammonia
1 cup water
mix in spray bottle
You can try it and see how it goes.
I think that you should let you child feed himself, that is why they invented washcloths, just clean him up good when he is all done. You could also just take his onesie off and let him feed himself in just a diaper and then clean him when he is done.
Anyway I wish you good luck and hope you find something that will work.

JoAnn said...

Leesha.... here's a couple thoughts: 1) Bibs. hmmmm. 2) Let the little man eat naked -- or with a diaper. We are considering doing that at our house, to help limit the laundry load. Ya may not want to stop by during dinner time. Just sayin... :)

Carolyn Cox said...

I couldn't read all of these comments, but I thought I'd share an insight. First, you soak in COLD water. Amazing, that helps a ton! I have an enzyme cleaner that's really good and not toxic. I would look around and see if you can find one. There are a few out there, but from what I know, they are the same. If you want the name of one, let me know.

Becky Marie said...

I just don't worry about it...those kind of things can make one insane. TRUST ME!

Chelsea Nicole said...

OxyClean to the rescue... It's what I use and it actually works!
Also I know what gets blood out... Alcohol. I was floored to see Kayden's blood come out of his clothes and blankets from his surgery