January 20, 2010

5 guys



So, I have been very proud of myself because I can't remember the last time I went out for a burger and fries, but then....a friend of mine was telling me about this new restaurant that opened in Idaho Falls. You might have heard of it, it's called 5 GUYS. She tells me it is scrumptious and I "just have to go", so I work my magic and somehow convince my sweetie that we "just have to go!" When she told me about this place it was on a Saturday morning and we hadn't planned on heading south until Monday because it was a holiday. For 2.5 days all I could think about was french fries. I kid you not, everything I thought about eating just wasn't going to cut it because...it wasn't french fries. Anyone who knows me well, knows I have the BIGGEST weakness for french fries or chips and salsa. I lie not when I say, every night for 2 nights I had one dream after another that I was eating french fries. I would wake up smelling them, wanting them and thinking about them. I even tried eating Saltine crackers hoping it would satisfy the craving.

Monday morning, I woke with great enthusiasm, even with a little bounce in my step, anticipating this wondrous burger and fries.



I didn't want to eat anything all morning long, because I didn't want to get too full for my meal. I was told this place was just like IN N' OUT because everything is made fresh daily, and they have good quality ingredients.

We parked the car, walked in and it was a fun environment, bright, red and white decor, very open and welcoming. I walked up to order and was shocked to see the prices. $5.00 for ONE hamburger and that doesn't even include the fries or the drink??? Seriously?!? So I said to myself, "self, you haven't had one of these for a long time, just swallow your money spending pride and enjoy the experience." Besides that, from what I heard, the fries are well worth it. We get our food, the fries container is HUGE for a small size and my burger was quite large too. I was so excited, this was the moment of truth! I took a few bites of my burger...and it was PINK inside. Um...pardon me tall man with the funny red hat on...my burger is pink! They were so busy, I didn't bother, I just ate the burger in a circle avoiding the center. I know there are many out there that love this place, that think it is the greatest place on earth next to Disneyland but I think I'll stick with a Winger burger next time I have such cravings. Adam LOVES burgers, and when he finds a good burger there is no stopping him, it is serious business for him. He doesn't talk, he doesn't look around, he just eats. Once he is finished, he is then aware of his surroundings, he gets up, washes his hands and is available for conversation. I knew it wasn't good when he didn't even want to finish his burger. In his words, "it was just a burger".

Not sure why I posted about this, must have felt it was important enough to blog about...I guess I hope that if I have helped but one fortunate soul then it was well worth it.

8 comments:

Becky Marie said...

I am with you. I don't get the hype. There is one in Bountiful and it's always busy. It's just a burger and fries people!

Hilary said...

Yeah, I thought the burger was fine, I loved the cajun fries a lot more then the burger...

Kayleen said...

We agree. James is the same as Adam when it comes to good food and our experience wasn't worth the 2 mile walk on a hot day. better luck next restaurant..

Missy said...

Dang, I'd been wanting to try out this place, but now I'm not too anxious to. Love this post though; you are hilarious! I love Winger's burgers, too.

Rachel said...

It must be some California Dreamin' from those who are trying to find a substitute for their sweet In-N-Out... That's a hard shoe to fill though... And the chocolate shakes...heavenly texture of sweet cream!!!!

That's too bad that you spent that much time and had so much excitement and then the pizazz of it all ... fizzled out. AND!!!!! I wouldn't put a burger joint next to Disneyland, EVEN IF it was with one of those In-N-Out chocolate shakes tempting me! Gotta love the Mouse!

P.S. Might I add that you're absolutely, positutely entertaining and started my day at work off with a good read and laugh!! LOVE YA!!!!!

Nate and Chelsea Peck said...

I was looking forward to trying that place..Thanks for saving me money :)...You should be a food critic haha...I also LOVE to find a good salsa...Do you get any particular kind?? I've been going through all the fresh salsa's at Albertsons, Broulims..and just can't seem to find one like a restaraunt's..

Adam and Gwen said...

Well I am not a fan of their burgers (FYI they post on their menu that their burgers may be pink but are thoroughly cooked), but I LOVE the fact that they provide malt vinegar for the fries. Takes me back to living in England as a kid.

JoAnn said...

Leesha Rae -- you just saved me millions and bajillions! Fuggitaboutit -- I'm not investing in a 5 Guys. Not when the burgers are pink==============> arg!