July 28, 2009

Being a Mommy

I always wondered what this moment would feel like, now that it is here, it feels like that is all I have known. Even though I am completely clueless on how to take care of this sweet boy and I feel so lost at times, he makes it allll worth it! I keep getting emails from many of you asking me to tell about my experience with delivery, so for those of you who want to know, here it is.

I wasn't too far past my due date, only 3 days, but the Doctor agreed it would be OK to induce early, even though he wanted to see if I would go on my own but who knows how long that would take. I went into the hospital @ 6:00 p.m. on Monday evening and they started Oxytocin around 7:00 p.m. Dr. Barton broke my water immediately, even before they started the Oxytocin and I was only at a 2. I should have known by that, that this was going to be a long one. Around 1:30 a.m. my contractions were uncomfortable. They were tolerable, but uncomfortable. I knew at some point I would get the epidural, but I wasn't sure when. The nurse came in and said the Anestesiologist was down the hall giving somone else an epidural and wanted to know if I would like one too. I was only about a 3 1/2 and so I said that would be fine because I didn't know how long it would take to get him back when I really needed one. I got my epidural and all I can say is that besides finally having the baby in your arm, an epidural is heaven sent! Adam and I tried to keep ourselves occupied throughout the night with movies, and tried to get a little sleep. Around 7:30 a.m. Dr. Barton came in to check me and I was only at a 4!!!! Are you kidding me, 6 hours of waiting and I was only at a 4!?!? He told me that if I didn't progress more by 10:00 a.m. he was going to do a C-Section. I was terrified, I really really really did not want a c-section and I immeditaly began praying that something would change, I didn't care if it was a centimeter, I just wanted to show him improvement. Well, come to find out, I wasn't the only one praying that I wouldn't have to have a c-section, many family and friends were praying in my behalf, which I am so grateful for!! The nurse came in a little bit before 10:00 a.m. and said she wanted to check me before she called Dr. Barton. As she was checking me, I thought for sure that she was going to tell me I was only at a 5, but then she said, "Well...it looks like you are at a 9." I lifted my head up and said, "are you kidding me?" She called Dr. Barton, and he was just as surprised. He came in, checked me and said sure enough you are at a 9, almost a 10. The nurse didn't hear him, but he told her that he wanted me to start pushing in about an hour. She came in and told me that she wanted me to "labor down", basically meaning that she wanted to baby to come down on its on naturally. By this point, my Oxytocin levels were at 17, (the level of how much your are having pumped into your body. The max amount is supposed to be 20) Dr. Barton told her to increase it to 20. A different Doctor came in and checked me, then told the nurse to jump my Oxytocin to 30 to speed things up. I was a little shocked by this because Dr. Barton told me that he didn't want to go past 20 because it can damage the Uterus because of all the stress the Oxytocin can put on it with contractions. Thankfully, the nurse did not bump it up to 30. Dr. Barton came in at noon and said he wanted to get this baby out because I should have already been pushing for an hour and it was taking too long. Him and the nurse argued a little bit because she didn't hear him tell me to start pushing, and he thought I had already been pushing for an hour. Well, I started pushing a little bit before 1:00 p.m. and Brennon was born at 3:23 p.m. His head was stuck on my pelvis and Dr. Barton had to use 2 different vacuum approaches. The little stinker just wouldn't come out. Oh, I forgot, around 2:00 p.m. my epidural was wearing off and the anestesiologist came in to give me a "boost" which only lasted about 45 minutes, then it wore off again. I could pretty much feel everything the last 30 minutes before Brennon was born.


Honestly ladies, I have no desire to try and get the Sheerah badge, I have never felt pain like that in my life, and I would never do it again if it weren't for the wonderful little baby that comes out and the epidural :) Major props to those of you who do it natural!
Once Brennon was born, they immediately took him over to give him some oxygen because his breathing was pretty shallow. They even started to take him down to their make shift NICU to put him on some oxygen because his color wasn't coming in, but half way down the hall, he was doing much better. They turned around and brought him into me. His swollen face and gigantic conehead was so adorable! Adam and I just looked at him with amazement. "I did it", I thought, "and now I want to sleep". HA HA! Not that any of you want to really know this, so I won't give you TMI, but I will just say it took the Doctor a VERY long time to stitch me up, he must have used 2 rolls of thread (or whatever they use) LOL!
We were moved into recovery and that was that! We went home Wednesday around 8:00 p.m. and have been doing wonderfully since. It has been really hard with my soreness, swollenness (not really a word) and tiredness, but luckily I have a wonderful husband, who in my opinion is honestly and truly the best daddy around. Many of you would like to argue with me on that one, but I don't care, he is the best! My mom has also been staying with us since he was born. My dad came up for a few days, but then needed to get back home. My mom has been a HUGE help and I don't know how I could have done a lot of this without her help. Breastfeeding has not been too bad, of course it hurts, but I am hoping to get through that soon.




Brennon sort of liked his first bath. He hated being in the water, but the minute I started washing his head he immediately calmed down and loved every minute of it! He is so fun!



14 comments:

Corey Vandenberg said...

Fun read! Welcome to motherhood. Your conversations, your thought process and your sleep patterns will NEVER be the same!! Love you!

Chelle said...

Sounds like a pretty long day! Like you said, it's a good thing you get a sweet baby out of the whole deal! :) Congrats! He's adorable!

Kara said...

I really do feel sorry for you that you had to go through the pain of feeling everything! I thought it was better than a c-section but still nothing I ever want to relive or remember. Glad you are all doing well. Enjoy every day, it seriously goes by way too fast.

Devin and Becky said...

Yeah I am the first to comment on this one. I hate when a million people comment than I can't find a way to sound original. it just sounds like I'm a copy cat.... wow what an experience you had. all worth it in the end huh.. he is so cute alisha I can't wait to meet him in person.. He was just one day late of sharing Jaxton's birthday. anyways I still want a call from you. love ya!

Kayleen said...

he has the sweetest face ever! I'm so glad you didn't have to have a c-section. I hope we can come see you soon. James really wants to come, so maybe we'll all barge in on you guys soon! (We'll of course call first)

Amy said...

Hey Leesh! Thanks for telling your story! I'm so glad to hear things went well, even though the process was long! I can honestly say I've been there and hope to be there again soon! This little girl can't come fast enough! Congrats to you and Adam again! Brennon is so handsome, but I can't tell who he looks like at this point! :) Hang in there with the breastfeeding, you'll do great! Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it! Talk to you soon! Love and miss you Leesh! I'm so happy you're a Mommy!

Heather and Josh Wickern said...

Ok, so I've been really emotional recently anyways, but I am SO excited to see you guys in about 2 weeks! I'm getting all teary just looking at pictures and reading about you! I hate how we missed your whole pregnancy and Brennon's birth! I'm just glad that we'll be able to get to know him over the next few months and that you'll be able to get to know Kati since she's huge now! Anyways, we love you and I'm so glad you're doing well!!

Hilary said...

I love that Texas onesie! And I'm glad that you're settling in to mommyhood well! :)

Devin and Becky said...

Yep I'm officially a dork. I wasn't the first to comment. well anyways I wrote you last night in such a hurry I didn't even write congrats. I am sooo excited for you. I thought about you all night and your story.. honey I am glad I have c-sections. it seems scary but hey what you went through does too. ha ha .. love ya

mom2ky said...

Both you and Adam will be awesome parents--Brennon is a lucky boy! Let me know if you need ANYTHING---like a strawberry and cream frappe or a yummy cupcake....or maybe I'll just surprise you! Love ya lots!

Tammy said...

I so feel your pain. I pushed for 3 hours and 45 minutes with my first because I did not want a c section either. Thank goodness for those vacuums! Congratulations! Enjoy your cute baby!

April 19, 2010 said...

Bummer about the epidural wearing off, but-wow, how amazing! He is such a cutie pie and I love the Texas beanie and onsie-adorable! How exciting! I am so happy for the both of you...and now three.

The Baldree Family said...

He is beautiful! Isn't giving birth amazing! I'm glad every thing went okay. Why does it always take so long and in the middle of the night?! When I read about being stitched up I cringed, that seems like just yesterday for me... Hopefully the recovery and breast feeding is going well. It was a little rough going for me the first couple of weeks. It is amazing now though! Being a mommy is incredible! I love you Leesha! Congrats!

Nate and Chelsea Peck said...

amazing story. now that I've been through it, I love reading other people's labor stories. It's the best feeling once you finally have that little baby in your arms..it's all worth it. It's such an amazing experience. I know, I would never ever do it natural either! haha! I am surprised your epidural wore off so soon..I could feel everything (or at least I think it was everything) like the last 5-10 minutes..but I think that happens to a lot of women..because the pain is just so immense that it takes over the epidural..that's what I felt like in my experience anyways. I hope you have a speedy recovery.