Dear Mom's and Dad's out there I need some advice. I know many of you have discovered your own tricks to help babies sleep through the night and to calm them down when they are fussy, but I need to know...have any of you tried the "Miracle Blanket" or the "Kiddopotamus SwaddleMe" or the "Snug and Tug" swaddling blankets? If you have please tell me what you think? Is it worth it? Do you love it? Do you hate it? Are you indifferent about it?
June 16, 2009
Miracle Blanket
Posted by Adam & Leesha Wickern at 10:23 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




20 comments:
My honest opinion:
They are a waist of money. You can swaddle a baby with any receiving blanket just fine.
Never tried any of them but always wanted to! We just always used one of those thermal stretchy blankets. My kids call them Waffle blankets cause that's what they look like to them. They worked really good to wrap them up tight at bed time.
I think those look awesome. We just used a waffle blanket and wrapped him up really tight, and it made such a difference for Jacoby. I have heard these are awesome. I also know a few people who got one from the hospital, not me though. :(
River, was a kicker and he would not stay swaddled in a receiving blanket. The SwaddleMe was a life saver for me. River was FINALLY able to sleep through the night the night I used it on him. I know it wasn't a coincidence. My general pratitioner thought it was a waste because he asked when I would stop using it, because he thought that he would never want to be without it. He was fine. Once he got big enough, he just didn't need it anymore. I'm a believer.
You can use blankets just as well as those, but Savannah got really strong really fast and so by the end of the first couple of weeks she was squirming her way out no matter what we tried... We finally took a long sleeve shirt and used it to wrap around her body and tied it in the front. Needless to say she wasn't getting out of that one!
The swaddling definitely helped at the beginning- she would startle herself awake with her limbs. But after the first month she did not want to be restricted anymore so we just stopped one day and she has been great ever since. In the beginning though- a great tool. At least for us!
Never used anything like that, however, I would recommend getting anything you can to keep him asleep in his own bed! BELIEVE ME, you don't want to have him sleeping with you until he's 7!! :)
We just used blankets, but Jacob hated being wrapped up! Evelyn loved it, and I just never did it with Megan. I would say, use larger thin blankets and that should do the trick. The nurses in the hospital will do it for your little guy and they can teach you. If you want to, look it up on the internet and practice with a doll or a stuffed animal.
Personally, i think they are awaste of money. they look dumb (sorry to be blunt). Just use a blanket like the stretchy kind. some babies don"t even like to be swaddled! ps we didnt drive thru rexburg on our way to jackson...SORRY! that wouldve been fun to see you!! love ya g!
I put my baby in a double swaddle. first a thin blanket then a warmer one after following both with swaddle wrap. sometimes he seems to bust out of my double wrap so i wish i would have bought one that has velcro to hold it together. good luck! it's getting close.
Have one from a gift. Use it, but I wouldn't spend money on one. A blanket works just as well.
Sometimes when we were tired of the boys not staying in bed we'd take queen-size blankets and wrap them so tight they couldn't move. Then we'd put them in bed and close the door so we wouldn't have to listen to them scream cause they were so mad they couldn't move.
They'd usually wake up all sweaty.
Indifferent, I suppose. I had a few hand-me down swaddlers... never even used 'em. Plus we were living in Hawaii and it would have been way too hot! We just used receiving blankets.
We didn't have one with Angie, but I wish we did because she would wake herself up by flinging her arms. We did use the "waffle" blankets which worked okay, but it would have been really helpful to have the velcro part to hold it together better. It's so hard to know because every baby is so different. I think most babies like to be swaddled at first! I agree with one of the other comments made though... you want to make sure your little guy is comfortable in his own bed or they will end up in yours! Then you don't get good sleep and that's no good for anyone! :)
First of all, swaddling is a WONDERFUL idea. The only way to put a baby to sleep, in my opinion, is to wrap them tightly. Secondly, we have one of these and think it is a waste. We were able to swaddle them better with regular blankets, plus the velcro that holds it shut got caught on stuff in the wash and degraded over time so it isn't as strong now. Don't waste your money.
I think it is definitely worth the money. I use the swaddleme on McKenna.
You can definitely swaddle just as well with a regular blanket. You can get good at it. You do need bigger blankets when they get older, but you can do it. I did it this way with Kaitlyn.
HOWEVER, she got to be very particular. Only I could swaddle her right. If Nate swaddled her, she wouldn't go to sleep. I didn't want that to happen with McKenna, which is why I got the swaddle blanket this time around. Anyone can put her in it and she will sleep.
Another pro is that I take one to church and wrap her up at nap time. I just lay it in my lap and put her in. It would be hard to swaddle a baby in a regular blanket without laying it on a floor.
Another pro with the swaddleme is that you can use it in the carseat.
I chose the swaddleme because it is really inexpensive compared to the miracle blanket, and it is easier to use. Since I wanted anyone to be able to use it, I went with the swaddleme.
As far as the velcro in the wash problem...you just have to close the velcro before you put it in the washer. You will run into the same issue with bibs.
Everyone who sees McKenna in her blanket buys the swaddleme. It is one of my favorite products right now.
OK obviously it depends on the baby because all of these people are saying it's a waste of money but it was a LIFE SAVER for Norah. She would wiggle out of any swaddle, no matter how tight. When we finally got the Swaddleme she slept so much better. She loved it. AND she hated her car seat (I mean, full on screaming and wailing everywhere we went) until we found out you can use the Swaddleme in the car seat. Worked like a dream. Seriously worth the money for us!!!
I bought one for my friend but I've never tried them. I know they have ones you can use in car seats which I think are awesome especially when they are so young. I just use regular blankets but I so recommend swaddling. I never did it with my first two cause it was so hard, I was kinda retarded. With Sophie, its magic. She sleeps through the night being swaddled. I can't wait, seriously!! Hurry up and have the baby lol
If someone gives you one for free-awesome, or if you are really having a hard time getting your baby to sleep and it works, get one, but yes, like other comments you can really do the same thing with a blanket, and neither of my kids wanted to be swaddled, don't waste your money until you know if will be something you will use.
I swaddled my daughter until she was 1, because that was the ONLY way to get her to sleep. I have never used those contraptions, but blankets work just as well. In fact I loved the blankets they used at the hospital I took a couple home with me. Have the nurses show you how to swaddle him tight, it really is a life saver. I found that when they are really new use smaller receiving blankets so you can get it super tight and as they get bigger use the "mormon" blankets (croqueted around the edges. I have a non member friend who calls them that!). I guess it's worth a shot if you are given one, but I probably wouldn't buy one. I hope this makes sense!!
hey! It's Chelsea Peck..I found your blog through Jessica's and wanted to say Congratulation on your baby boy!! That is so exciting! and you look so cute pregnant!! You should send me your email and I will add you to our blog (it's private) my email is cnpeck10@gmail.com
About the blanket..I don't know if you knew this but we just had a baby and he is 3 months now and he loves being swaddled. He hated it at first, but once they calm down it helps them go to sleep easier. I like the Halo Sleepsack though...i dont know what the difference is. but with the halo sleepsack you buy the swaddle part and then the sleepsacks in the different sizes...If you're still in rexburg at the hospital they will give you a newborn size one and they put your baby in a premie size one and you can just take that...so all you need to buy is the 3-6 month ones. i've heard that around 6 month babies usually just break out of it and are done by themselves...so hopefully that happens. I've tried just swaddling him in a blanket and it lasts about a minute..and can be frustrating to deal with oragami blanket in the middle of the night...you know what I mean? Also you should read the book 'babywise'..we had our little guy sleeping through the night at 7 weeks thanks to that book!
anyways, its fun to see you guys on here! I didn't know you had a blog!
Post a Comment