May 4, 2009

Weekend in Utah...

AAhhhh...I always enjoy going to see family and friends in Utah. It does become a little exhausting at times and usually by the time we get back to Idaho we are pooped. We headed down to Utah on Friday after work and had just enough time that night to say hi to my parents and get ready for bed. Saturday was going to be a busy day!
My brother Brian graduated from Weber State Friday with 2 Bachelor's degrees. He graduated with a Bachelors in Mathematics and a Bachelors in Computer Science (I think). He has worked so incredibly hard! He completed both of these degrees while working a full time job, commuting from Layton to American Fork everyday, and while being a great husband and father to his 3 kids. I wish I had the pictures to post of his graduation, but they are on my mom's camera. We are so proud of you Brian!
Saturday was quite a busy day for all of us! I woke up at 5:00 a.m. simply because I can't sleep on the waterbed while being pregnant and well because there were too many distractions (my bladder for one). I got up and started to get ready for the Baby Shower that was going to be at my parents house that morning. Our intentions were to have it in my parents backyard, but the weather did not exactly allow us to do that, it was pouring rain! So, we had to figure out how to squish 30+ people in my parents small front room/kitchen area. It was a tight squeeze, but we managed! We did not want this baby shower to be a huge deal because too many of us got really stressed out for my Bridal Shower, so we tried to make this baby shower as stress free as possible. I wanted to do something fun as a party favor for everyone so I spent all day Wednesday and Thursday before we left making these fun surfing sugar cookies. I couldn't figure out which sugar cookie recipe I wanted to make, so I made 3 different kinds. Then I couldn't figure out what kind of glaze I wanted to make so I just started experimenting. After I finally got the sugar cookies cut out by hand, cooked and glazed, it was time to decorate. I recruited Adam for ideas on how to decorate the surfboards, flip flops and boardshoarts. He was such a great help!


The next day before we left, a friend of mine and I wrapped all the cookies and got them ready to take down to Utah. The sad part about all of this...I FORGOT TO GIVE THEM OUT AT THE BABY SHOWER! I am such a goof! I will get back that.

So, we spent Saturday morning cutting fresh fruit and people started to show up. It was quickly getting crowded, but we had to try and make room the best we could. My Aunt Teri came over early to help out and so did my cousin Melanie. A bit later, my sister-in-law Ashley came over with the Bagels and we were ready to get started. It was a really good turn out at the Baby Shower. There were so many that came to show their love to me and Adam and of course to Brennon. He is already a spoiled spoiled little boy. It was so fun to see everyone there, it was mostly family and family friends. So after the opening of gifts and I was saying goodbye to everyone, it wasn't until there was only about 6 people left that the realization hit me..."I FORGOT TO HAND OUT THE SUGAR COOKIES!" Oh sad day...there they were...sitting in the kitchen all wrapped individually and now what do I do? Adam grabbed handfuls of them and tried running them out to people as they were getting in their cars, buuuuut, there were still plenty left over. My dad didn't care, it was more cookies for him to eat. :)

Overall, it was perfect! We got a lot of very helpful and useful stuff for Brennon, and a lot of handmade stuff that is just perfect! Here are just a few of the handmade things that we got.

My sister-in-law Becky and her Sister Kari made these adorable gifts for me. One is a diaper bag to take to church and the other is what Becky likes to call a "Hooter Hider" :) It is a nursing cover. It is really cool, it has one of those wire things that allows you to still look at your baby while they are nursing. They also made a burp cloth too, but I don't think we got a picture of that one. Thanks girls, it is awesome!

These are blankets from Brennon's Great Grandma's. The first one was crocheted by Adam's Grandma Joyce which was so soft!! Then, my Grandpa's wife Marion made this gorgeous quilt! She looked all over for Hawaiian print fabric and made this, it is so cool. If you look really close, the stitching is in the shape of Hibiscus flowers and waves. So awesome!


Then there are these adorable Diaper Cakes made by my cousin Chandra and Sister-in-Law Ashley. Chandra made the one with the Hawaiian theme with the flowers and Ashley made the one with all the fun essentials. These cakes are so much fun. The first time I saw a diaper cake at a Baby shower I have ALWAYS wanted one...and I got TWO!! Thank you so much ladies, they are perfect. Adam and I had a lot of fun taking them apart!



And then there is my cute mom and adorable husband with Abigail!



A few hours later, it was time to go over to Brian and Ashley's house to celebrate Brian's graduation. We had yummy Pizzaria Pizza (mm, my favorite) and fruit and were able to sit and relax and play with nieces and nephews for a while. It made for the perfect ending to our day.

Adam and I headed back to Idaho Sunday afternoon after getting to attend my parent's church earlier that afternoon and spending some time with Corey and Becky and their family. What a great weekend!

7 comments:

Tiff and Chris said...

Wow-what a wonderful time it looks like y'all had! You look so cute. I love the quilts, how awesome to have such a talented family memebers.

Devin and Becky said...

Hey alisha, oh I so wish I could've been there. you look amazing, ya know, how cute of a pregggers you are. that is awesome about Brian. He's done good. well we will find a time together I guess after ha ha. I guess we'll get to see each others kidlets that away. just move to provo k. love ya

Anonymous said...

Wow... my sister is amazing in the craft business!! We were corresponding back and forth on how to make it and I must say, I have an awesome sister!! :)

I wish I could've been there, Leesh. Looks like so much fun. I love your cooking, too!! Try those cookies that I just put on your site... oh my GOODNESS!!

Adam & Leesha Wickern said...

Your sister really is amazing! It was such an adorable cake!! Adam and I just couldn't get enough of them. We didn't want to take them apart :) I love how Chan matched my Hawaiian theme, it was perfect!!!

Becky Jorgensen said...

K you are soooo cute pregnant!!! I can't believe how far along you are already! I wish I could have been at your shower!! Looks so fun!! Oh and I love you little boys name. I love the wall thing you made. Where did you find bamboo?

mom2ky said...

Wow---those cakes were awesome--and so were your cookies! Brennon is lucky to have you as parents, that's for sure!!

Missy said...

Alisha, you did such a great job at our Enrichment activity last night, I really enjoyed it. You have some great recipes!
Sounds like you had a great time in Utah last weekend, your cookies turned out great. You are so cute pregnant!