September 14, 2008

Adam's Graduation




FINALLY!!!
Well, Adam is officially graduated from BYU-Idaho in Business Management on July 18, 2008. YAY!!! Some of his family drove up from Texas, some flew from Texas, his sister flew from Virginia, my parents drove in from Utah and my grandparents came from their trek across multiple states to all come and celebrate Adam's Graduation. It was a lot of fun to have everyone come up for this! It was hilarious trying to squeeze 8 people in our tiny 2 bedroom apartment. Adam and I in our room, his parents on a blow up mattress in our dining area, his brother on a cot down our hallway, his sister Hannah and Alyssa on a blow up mattress in the front room and his sister Rachel on our couch. Over at our brother and Sister-in-law's house, they had Adam's 3 other brothers staying with them and a really sick cat named "Kitty". We all had really full apartments. Instead of paying a ton of money to go to the Graduation dinner that really would not be that grand anyway, we decided to have a picnic at the park. My parents brought up some fresh corn on the cob from Utah and then we had a baked potato bar. It was nice to have everyone there together!

WARNING!!! Apartment Drama!!!


Preparing for the picnic was quite the experience. We had a ton of people in our apartment all trying to do several different things. I have learned that I don't do well under a lot of stress and trying to prepare food for a large group of people. Plus, it always gets worse because the last thing you want to do is offend anyone so it gets a little stressful. We had a little accident while preparing food in our apartment. Since Adam and I would be moving in just a few weeks after the graduation, we decided to clean our carpets. We were happy to have them spotless again. Well, my mom asked how she could help and I told her that she could cook the bacon for the Baked Potatoes. Once she was finished she asked what I wanted her to do with the hot grease in the pan. I gave her a can that I usually poor grease in, and told her that when it cools off she can pour the grease in the can. Well, I didn't know she had poured it in the can and it was sitting on top of the stove. I had my back to the stove and turned to check whatever it was in the oven and saw the can on top. I didn't know she had poured the hot grease in there and so I grabbed the can not knowing that it was not only hot, but that greased had dripped down the sides of the can and it was now burning my fingers. I immediately threw the can out of my hands because it was burning me and in the process didn't realize that I had just thrown it all over our carpet, kitchen table stools, and our laptop that was sitting on the table. There was a HUGE grease soaked spot now all over our freshly cleaned carpets. Luckily, we still had the carpet cleaner in the back of the Envoy so Adam ran out to grab it. My sister-in-law Rachel told me to dump all the baking soda I had all over the grease stain and it would soak up the grease. So I began frantically dumping. Adam brought in the carpet cleaner and started scrubbing his little heart out! Poor Adam, that is not what he had in mind on Graduation Day at all!! Thanks sweetie!



We finally made it to the Park and after about a bottle and a half of Prozac, we were all able to sit and enjoy a nice meal. I still felt a little loopy, but I managed to sit and eat something without loosing my mind over anything else.
As for Adam...




Of course, we all survived and it was a lot of fun! I love being around family!



During the picnic, I had to go back to work for an hour or so to help serve the Graduation dinner. I scrambled to get home, get changed and get up to work while Adam and the family cleaned up the picnic and headed back to the apartment to get ready for the graduation ceremony.
By the time I got home from work, everyone was ready to head out the door to make sure we got good seats. We found a great seat in the auditorium! It was so exciting to see Adam come marching out of the tunnel and take his seat. At the graduation, we were privileged to hear from Sister Julie B. Beck and many others. What a great meeting!



Julie B. Beck and President Kim B. Clark spoke to us and it was just incredible. One thing I loved that President Clark talked about that I feel that every person should know is that too many times we get wrapped up in wanting the best of everything. We want way more than we can afford and we need to make sure that we have our priorities straight. The picture of him with the words "Don't let the world get into your heart" was at the moment that he was telling the graduates to keep their hearts and minds focused on the Gospel of Jesus Christ, no matter what! I loved it!

I took a picture of one of the topics that he was discussing and had on the screen. I loved that he was telling the graduates to make sure that you are choosing your jobs wisely and keeping the Lord's Day sacred!

Here comes the Graduate!!!

Walking across the stage!

Once the ceremony was over, we were able to all gather around and congratulate him!
His family had a money lei made for him that they presented to him after the ceremony.



My parents are just so proud of Adam and love having him in our family! It is really nice to see how much they love him! This is a picture of my dad congratulating Adam.



This is a picture of Adam and Elder Pothier. He has loved every minute of working with Elder Pothier during his internship and now has the opportunity to work full time with him at the Eastern Idaho Entrepreneurial Center. The other picture is Adam and his dad talking to one of his favorite Professors Brother Kusch.





Adam and his family. Above is him and his sister Hannah. Below is him with his sister Rachel, Dad and brother Jacob.

Hannah and Soon to be sister-in-law Alyssa

Above: Adam's brother Paul (engaged to Alyssa) and Mom
Below: Wickern Family


Congratulations Adam!!


3 comments:

Devin and Becky said...

congrats adam and alisha. that is great news. on to the next step of life huh?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Adam, that is way awesome!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Adam!