May 3, 2008

Serving Missions



"Many young women are serving missions. Many are preparing to serve, not because they aren't married or have nothing else to do, but because they have a desire to serve and therefore are being called to the work. The reason so many are going is because in the next generation, Heavenly Father will be sending his Priesthood Army to the earth. And He wants to send them to mothers who have been properly trained and taught in the gospel. And what better training can a young woman have than that of serving a mission!"

~President Hinckley

I have been thinking about my mission over this past week and have thought about how much I miss being a missionary. A good friend of mine just got her mission call to serve in the Houston Texas East Mission and I am so excited for her. My brother-in-law Matt will be leaving to serve his mission in the Tempe Arizona Mission soon and I remember the feeling of nervousness I had when I was preparing to go. I remember all the advice that people offered to me and I remember asking the Lord to help me with my weakness.
I met so many wonderful people while I was in Arizona and think about at least one of them daily. There are times I will be driving, walking to a class, working or just sitting at home and the face of someone I talked to or a home that my companion and I visited will come to my mind. I miss the families we were teaching, I miss Tom the man that lived in the desert next to the park that we frequently walked through, I miss the love and trust members had for us to teach their friends and family. I still have the opportunities to share my testimony with those I come in contact with, but can"t help but remember the sweet feelings of being a full time servant of the Lord. I encourage any young woman that has the desire to serve, to thrust in her sickle!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We might be moving just North of Houston to Conroe/Montgomery area. Maybe we'll be able to work with your friend in that area.

Bevell Family said...

What can I say... remember how you changed our view on "Sister" missionaries. I miss those days and love the time you spent in our home. I hope we gave you great journal material... not that it was our goal...just seemed like there was always something crazy going on. hee hee. We are the truly blessed ones. YOU WERE A FANTASTIC MISSIONARY!!!! Thank you so very much... we love you. And...what an incredible blog... Thanks for sharing it with me...
Love & Smiles & Bratz
Sean A'lee

Joshua said...

Hi - nice blog by the way I was goggleing the quote and found your blog - i was looking for the source of that quote from Pres Hinckley. My Girlfriend is on a mission in Canada- and i knew that she was going to be a great missionary when she told me she was going(and she is great!) When she showed me that quote i really liked it! she didn't know when He had said it (she got it from a friend). I just wondered if you knew when or where he said it. Id love to know.
Thanks
Josh