This past Memorial Day we did not get to go visit any of the grave sites like I normally like to. Memorial Day is always a very different experience for Adam and I. He has never really experienced anyone really close to him passing away, so it is hard for him to relate to my feelings about Memorial Day. I was reading my Sister-in-laws blog about their experience visiting my Grandma Shirley's grave and teaching their children about who she is and I was inspired to share my love for her as well. My nephew Ethan has taken an interest in learning about Grandma Shirley so I thought since I am several hours away, I would post some pictures for him. Here ya go E!

This is my Grandma Shirley and me when I was about 4 months old. Shirley always loved her grand kids and always wanted to spend time with them. She and my Grandpa would take a lot of walks together and you could always see them coming up the sidewalk hand in hand towards our house. She was a school teacher/librarian and always had tons of activities for us to do when we went to visit. Tons of coloring books, reading books and puzzles to do.

We went camping and traveling a lot when we were younger with my Grandparents and usually with my cousins as well. Grandma Shirley was always the team leader, she always made sure the grand kids were fed and happy.

Grandma Shirley was a very tenderhearted woman. Her emotions sometimes close to the surface whenever it came to her family. She loved the Gospel and her Family. She was our Mama Bear! She protected her family and took care of them no matter the circumstance. Holidays have never really been the same since Grandma Shirley passed away, she was the glue that made Holidays so special. She was the perfect source of comfort whenever you needed a hug! I have a lot of peace knowing that my children are near their Grandma Shirley, I strongly believe they know her and she loves them just as much as she loves us! When my nephew Ethan was born he had a red butterfly looking mark on his forehead that the Doctors called an "angel kiss" and we all talked about how we believe it was a kiss from Grandma Shirley.




3 comments:
What a sweet tribute to your grandma! She sounds like a lovely person--I can see where you get your tender heart from! We visited my grandma's grave on Sunday...and it is still strange to think that she is gone. I miss her so much. HUGS....Sharon
Ethan says "Thank you." He loves hearing about her. I read your whole post to him and he just stared at the pictures; not distracted by anything around him (which is unusual). Thanks from me too.
I love Becky!
I really want to do this for our kids one day. Chandra did some really neat things for her children during Memorial Day. It was really neat to hear about.
Post a Comment