March 24, 2009

Weekend in Utah

So I am trying to be a little creative with Brennon's room. I have so many ideas, but I am so far from artistic I just don't know what to do with myself. I find so much on the internet that I want to use, but I don't want to pay the ridiculous prices, so I am attempting to do some of it myself as well as recruiting my family to help. I have 2 sisters-in-law in Utah that are incredibly talented crafty chicks. Then my mom wants to make a million bibs, burp clothes and blankets, so I am using all the resources I can. :) I am blessed with fabulous domestic women in my family! Here is one of the projects that I am attempting.

(this is not the exact one, but looks similar)
Adam and I found this cute Treasure chest at the craft store near us and thought it would be fun to use as a toy box when Brennon is little. It is a little small, so it most likely won't be a very good toy box once he gets older, but it might be fun for a little while. We first painted 2 coats of Chalk White and then painted a blue coat on top.

Don't mind my frumpiness, we were painting this at 11:00pm and were pooped and I didnt want to get paint on my good clothes.

We are going to sand it to make it a little rustic and paint beach scenes on it. I have these cute pictures of a little surfer boy holding a surf board, palm trees, Hawaiian turtles and I got some wood letters that spell out "Brennon" and I am going to decoupage some cute scrapbook paper onto the letters. Then on top of the treasure chest I am going to paint a surfboard where the wood letters will be glued or nailed onto. Does that make sense?

I also did this to hang in his room.
It is 3 sticks of bamboo tied together with the wood letters dangling with raffia.
We stopped at Hobby Lobby and my mom and I did a lot of running around, she found some really cute fabric to make Brennon a blanket and I am way excited to see how it turns out. I have to admit, for my first time going to Hobby Lobby I wasn't totally impressed. It could have been that my body was killing me and my flip flops weren't exactly providing much comfort.

Adam finally got to Utah Friday night and we all went out to dinner at the Greek Garden in the Ogden Mall. I love eating at the Greek Garden, their souvlaki is so yummy!!

Saturday morning, we got up and headed to Provo for a long day of shopping. We needed to get our weddings rings cleaned so we can keep our warranty and then we stopped over at "Babies R Us" to check out their car seats and strollers while finishing up our baby registry. I always feel really guilty registering for stuff...I feel like it just says...here is what I want, buy it for me. I just hate it, I feel awkward, but everyone tells me I need to do it.
We did finally decide on a carseat/stroller. Adam fell in love with this jogging stroller that he said had really cool wheels and he was pretty dead set on getting that one, not only because of the wheels, but because of the price tag, but I hated to tell him that I just didn't like the features of the carseat that came with it. We asked one of the workers to come over and show us different features of all the different stroller/carseat combo's and I was a little relieved when he told us which ones were the best and why. It came down to 2 different brands, and they were so similar in price that I was happy that he went with the one I liked because of the safety features. I didn't have to tell him which one I liked, he chose it and I was happy.

After we finished shopping and spending way too much money, we raced over to the Children's Discovery Gateway for my nieces birthday party.
It was a "Princess Party" where all the kids got to dress up and run around with this really crazy worker that I thought was on drugs. They had a lot of fun playing and "discovering" all the cool gadgets they have. We had yummy pink cupcakes and cold stone ice cream.....yummmy!!!



After we all had our sugar overload, we spent a few hours checking out all they had.
Adam definitely had his fun, I don't know how he does it, but he manages to attract every kid in the entire place and begins playing with them all.
He was being chased by kids he didn't even know, and was playing hide and go seek with a handful of kids. I didn't get pictures of him running around, but I did get a picture of him playing with this!!!

We all had a great time playing at the Discovery Gateway...thanks Brian and Ash, it was way fun! The kids loved it too!!!

After playing, we decided to walk around the Gateway and window shop for a few hours, but I quickly began feeling the effects of having 15 extra pounds on my hips and feet and I wasn't going to last much longer. After making our rounds, we decided to head back home.

Sunday we had a nice family dinner, and Prime Rib to die for. I don't typically like Prime Rib, or even a roast for that matter because that is the only thing my parent's cooked for Sunday dinners while I was growing up, so now that I am married, we never have it. I can't even count on one finger how many times I have made that since Adam and I have been married. I lucked out, he doesn't like it either, so I don't even worry about it. However; my dad made this really yummy one, and I was happy we stayed for a little bit longer than we had planned. It was good to see family! We drove back to Idaho in a not so fun rain storm on Sunday, but were happy when we got to sleep in our own bed and be in our own home.

8 comments:

Tiff and Chris said...

What a fun weekend. I LOVE the ideas for your baby's room-love the little name hanging. I think ou are doing a really awesome job. AND you don't look frumpy in a t-shirt.

Melissa said...

That looks like a Chicco brand stroller and carseat. That is what I bought for Avery and I LOVE it!! It is really easy to put in the car and install especially if you have the latch system in your car. I love ours and they do have really good safety ratings!! I also really like they come in a lot of neutral colors so they could be boy or girl.

mom2ky said...

Can't wait to see Brennon's room! And I'm glad you finally posted SOMETHING on your blog. Geez...

Kari Sweeten said...

Alisha, I love your bamboo sticks with the wooden letters! Can I feature this on my craft blog? If you could email me a couple photos of this that would be so cool.
What a darling name for your baby boy!

Anonymous said...

Not crafty?? Whatever, cuz. You do extremely cute things. I think you need to realize that! I love your stuff! You look so cute no matter what you wear, by the way.

Erin said...

Alisha you are so creative what are you talking about?! Those letters are SO cute and I can not believe you are making a toy box! I can not wait to see it once you are done (I hope you will post pictures!)

ps. Brennon is the cutest name!! Love it!

ashley vandenberg said...

thank you for coming! the party was a blast and your little boy's room is going to be adorable.

Sara said...

his room sounds like it will be totally cute. gabriel has a surf bedroom too, we copied pottery barn. You have to put up pics once it's done.