
I received a job with BYU-Idaho as one of the Catering Supervisors shortly after I arrived home from my mission and had planned on gaining experience there for 6 months to a year, finish up my last few classes and then move back home. Fortunately the Lord had other plans for me. I arrived at BYU-I the beginning of January 2006 and began my first day back to work in their Catering department. I was told that morning that I would be working with some guy named Adam and my boss assured me that he was blast to be around and was the life of the party. He also assured me that he was a great worker. To give you a little background, the meal that I was preparing and serving that morning was Devotional with the President of the University, the Devotional speaker for that day and all of his guests. This can be a very stressful banquet because EVERYTHING has to be perfect, i.e dishes, silverware, floral arrangements and food. After I had been setting up for a few minutes I looked at the clock and noticed it was about 15 minutes after "Adam" was supposed to be there. About an hour and 10 minutes later, I was in the kitchen preparing the salads for Devotional when all of a sudden this blond haired guy came walking up to me somewhat nervous, looked at me and said, "Hi, I'm Adam." I looked up and with no expression on my face, acknowledged his presence and continued preparing my salads. As a first impression we both were not impressed. He actually approached my boss and asked who I was, and explained that there was no way he was going to be able to work with me the rest of the semester. He had no clue who I was, he knew that his boss was getting a new Assistant, but he had never seen me before, so for all he knew I was some student trying to tell him what to do and acting like I knew exactly what I was doing. I approached my boss and told him how irritated I was that this irresponsible returned missionary who thinks he knows everything, just came in an hour and ten minutes late and wants to act like nothing happened.
We both gave our somewhat polite answers to each other while finishing the final touches on the Devotional room and then returned to our small kitchen to hand wash the fine china. I had been used to hand washing dishes, so I filled the sink with pretty hot water knowing that I was going to wash the dishes and he could hand dry them. Here comes Adam wanting to be what I thought was macho, but realize now that he was just being a gentleman, acting as if he is going to wash the dishes. I told him I would do it, but he said, "no, I can do it." So I shrugged my shoulders and said, "fine, you can do it." When he stuck his hands in the water he immediately pulled them out grunting because of how hot the water was. I kind of laughed and said, "ah, it builds character." He looked at me somewhat shocked, but because of pride he said, "fine" and put his hands back in the water to wash the dishes. This made me laugh a little, so I decided to ask the superficial get to know you questions like, where are you from? Where did you serve your mission? What is your major? blah blah blah....and somehow I found out in there that he was a male cheerleader in Hawaii and I immediately thought he was some stuck up jock who liked the spastic cheerleaders, so I had a brilliant idea...why not try to set him up with my roommate, who was a state champion cheerleader in Virgina. After the Devotional meal was over, he met me down by my office and we exchanged phone numbers so he could call to find out where I lived to come meet my roommate.
A few nights later, Adam called to ask if he and his buddy Greg could come and visit. I don't remember what I was doing at the time, but I honestly was not in the mood to entertain some returned missionary boys that wanted to play. (I know I sound like a brat) I agreed that they could come over and hang out, but I was a little put out that I was going to have to hang out with them. When he and Greg came over, I was actually a little impressed and enjoyed talking to them. Greg and I talked about our missions while Adam tried to get to know my roommate Ashley. She is so much fun and absolutely adorable, so why wouldn't I try to set them up? A few weeks later, the day before Valentines day there was an accident involving my car and two different roommates and Ashley called Adam to see if he could find out where I was so she could tell me. He and Ashley came to pick me up from work because I had no clue, and they took me to the scene of the accident. He drove me home that night and offered to take me to dinner to get me to relax. He extended the offer that if I ever needed a ride to call him anytime. Well...I didn't have a car now and I needed to get to work and school, so he asked if I wanted him to take me car shopping sometime. For about a week he took me every afternoon to look for cars and the weirdest thing began to happen. I started feeling these weird feelings about him that I definitely was not expecting. After so many hours in the car with him, we started to really get to know each other and realized that the person that we were annoyed and frustrated with was actually not that bad.
Due to an answer from prayer, we were engaged June 16th, 2006 and married August 26th, 2006 YEAH!
April 7, 2008
How We Met
Posted by Adam & Leesha Wickern at 8:09 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment